Thursday, January 18, 2007

world pyro olympics chika

Last year, I heard of the Pyro Olympics and wanted to go badly. But it was between Christmas and New Year, so I couldn’t because I would be holed up in Cebu. Imagine my jubilation when, during my last week in Manila on December, I heard on the radio that the Wold Pyro Olympics was to be held at the time of my return. And for two weeks too!

Apparently, I was not the only one who had the brilliant idea of going to the shows, especially during the last day when China (participant) and the Philippines (exhibit only) would be showcasing. For that combination, I was quite excited for several reasons.

One: China was the origin of the fireworks.
Two: A good amount of the fireworks we use are from China.
Three: I wanted to see how the Philippines would plan such a pyro show. Especially since we are known for making more noise than lights.

China was a disappointment. There wasn’t much volume nor variety of fireworks. Not only that, it lacked “choreography” and planning. Still, it was beautiful on its own.

The Philippines was, as usual, late. For two hours. While we were waiting, we were poking fun at our own country.

“Ah, baka sinasampay pa ang kwitis.”
“Late pa yung hahawak nung mga paputok.”
“Pinupuno pa ng pulbura yung kanyon.”

I was even saying, “pag may narinig na tayong ‘ooooooooooonnnnnnnnnggggaaaaaaaaa!’ yun na yung atin. Crying cow.”

And here's a story I picked up from my friend:

Young boy to young girl: "Hay naku. I'd rather look at you na lang, Jenny. Mas maganda ka pa sa fireworks."

Hanep. Write that down boys!

But despite being late, Pinas didn’t disappoint. There were a variety of fireworks used, the colors were plenty, the sounds were imposing, the quantity was overwhelming, the choreography was spectacular. The collective wow’s and ooooh’s and aaaaaah’s from all sorts of people could be heard all around.

In between, we were making jeers.

“Your taxes go here.”
“Ayan na ang budget ng DepEd, ng DILG, ng DENR…”

It seemed to have ended too soon. But for at least 30 minutes, poor and rich alike enjoyed something together.

And suffered together as well. Commuters walked quite a distance to get a ride. That was us. We got home 230. Car-owners were stuck in traffic within a 3KM radius of the Mall of Asia. I even got a text from a friend they got home at 4AM.

Despite that, I was happy to have gone. And will continue to hope that I catch another pyro Olympics next year.

Nothing like a light show to make this child’s heart happy!

1 comment:

Zimmbo said...

galing naman ng entry. i missed the event kasi eh! hamo nest time! hehehe!