Friday, October 27, 2006

knee-deep in mud (another midsalip story)

Those were my feet after going to Kenuren, one of our community schools in Midsalip. Along the way, it has been cleaned several times over. This picture summarizes the adventures I go through with my job. And looking down at my feet after that trip made me write another journal entry in my long-forgotter recycled paper notebook.

(edited entry)
October 5, 2006
8:25 PM - Midsalip

Today we visited Kenuren. Among the seven schools we sponsor in Midsalip, that was the only one I have not visited yet.

And what a trip that was! Going there, one has to pass through the rice fields. And as always, the fields proved to be a wondrous sight to behold. It was nature's quilted blanket, each rice patch a symbol of a farmer's hard work. Indeed, it was a good view, but not exactly the best path to take to go anywhere.

It wasn't actually a road less travelled, as many farmers and children traverse the
pilapil on a regular basis. But on a rainy October, there was hardly any solid ground. Rather, it was a marshy chocolatey muck that separating one field from another. There was no choice though but to use it. There was just no other way.

For some reason, I didn't mind. I usually have distaste for mud between my sole and my sandals because it made it harder for me to walk. I could have removed my sandals and walked barefoot instead. There was no logic of not taking them off since my feet would be as dirty with or without it. Walking would then be much easier, but I didn't want to carry footwear with my hands. So that ended up to be my excuse.

Strangely, I relished getting muddied up to my knees, enjoyed slipping and sliding in the gooey earth. Each squish between my toes reminded me that I have achieved one of the things I used to aspire for in my youth -- to be different.

The week in Midsalip reminded me why people go 'ooooh' and 'aaaah' and 'talaga?!' when I explain what I do for a living. In truth, there is nothing spectacular about it. It's just different.

Which made me realize that that's what I have always wanted. Spectacular didn't really have anything much to do with my life's choices. Being different did. For some though, different is spectacular.

After this thought, I laughed to myself. This, while we were still knee-deep in mud. I was feeling jolly during that walk, because I get to have siesta, ten hours of sleep a night, and a clean bathroom. Had I been in an area without a decent crapper, I'd be drafting a resignation letter in my mind. Hahaha! :)

It's nice to feel jolly. :)

1 comment:

bananas said...

u working for the IPs? woh...im working for an environmental ngo and considers working for the IPs too...well, perhaps my way of going back to the almost forgotten roots.

asa nang midsalip, maam?