Saturday, May 26, 2007

excelsior!

I was flipping through the channels the other night and saw these bunch of dudes and dudettes jumping around in a bedroom wearing weird outfits. My immediate thought was, "a reality show for wrestlers? What will the think of next?" Then I switched back to E! news.

This morning, I was flipping channels again (obvious bang couch potato ako?) and came across the OBB (opening billboard) of this show. And I was like, "way cool!" and it turned out that it was Stan Lee, the creator of Spiderman and X-Men (among many others), came up with the reality show. Mas asteeeeeg!

They showed bits of the audition and there were lots of people in costumes pitching themselves to Stan. And of course, the must-have catch phrase was asked for. Ang saya-saya! The cast was eventually trimmed down to 12 characters, including heroines like Cellphone Girl, Fat Momma and Monkey Woman.

And it was very, very enjoyable. Especially for a comic book reader like me (who is still dreaming to discover my ninja skills for a future career in crime-fighting) who grew up with Stan Lee's X-Men series.

It has cool prices too! The winner gets to have a comic book of his own, and a Sci-Fi Saturday Night Movie. Way coooool! Any wanna-be hero's dram that is. There were these parents who joined because they thought their kids would love to see them as superheroes to brag about to their friends. Hmm... that's an idea! Hehe!

And after years and years, it is only now that I find out what excelsior means. Excelsior is Stan Lee's catch phrase in his editorial box. It's a latin/greek word that means to elevate or go higher. Steegh. Learned something new to day.

Oh, and my other new reality show fix is Steven Spielberg's "On The Lot" which is for wanna-be-directors. Wow.

So I guess reality shows will still be around for quite a while then.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

J and I were watching the exact same thing over breakfast this morning!!! Mwahaha!!! J was practically in tears because he couldn't stop laughing. Aliw no? I'm convinced it'll be our new addiction, especially since Grey's Anatomy and Heroes are on break. :) Enjoy!

cross eyed bear said...

di ba, di ba, di ba?! sobrang funny si major victory with his almost-gayish flamboyance.

nalaman ko nanalo kasi i checked the site for the logo. ngek. pero okay lang... mas masaya ang getting to the spot, di ba?