Wednesday, June 14, 2006

last saturday's wedding

photo taken by toni
Warning: This is a pretty long entry. I guess I couldn’t help but share the story of last Saturday which was a wonderful celebration of love and friendship.

Other stories from Toni and Ganns. They have pictures too.

*****

Never did I realize that being part of wedding entourage could be so fun and interesting until last Saturday. It was eleven years ago since the last time, at my sister’s wedding. All I had to do was have some make-up on, walk the aisle with a smile and pose when the photographers say so. I was sixteen and arrived a day before so nothing else was expected of me.

Karen, Gen and I had ourselves prepped up at David’s Salons White Plains while Rowie and her family had their make-up done at home. Full-blown primping began at ten, with Karen having a a bit of a head start. My make-up artist was amused seeing the doubt on my face when she asked me if I minded having my eyebrows shaped. I told her that she may do as she pleases to make me pretty that day. Part of me enjoyed the experience, but part of me wanted it to stop because my eyes were getting irritated and I couldn’t scratch because I’d ruin the make up. After two hours, we came out fine. I loved how Karen and Gen looked. They seemed to like mine as well.

The real fun starts when we got to the house. Videographers and photographers and coordinators and family were all over the place. Good thing Rowie was calm through it all. The first challenge, eating without ruining our make-up especially if lunch was barbecue and chicken. Our stomachs were able to have their fill, but brushing our teeth was out of the question. Thank God, we didn’t have binagoongang rice!

Time for dress-up! Gen didn’t have much of a problem because her dress was a little loose. Karen and I, on the other hand, had to deal with cinched waists as our dresses were slightly tight. There were some problems with Karen’s strap, so dear Ben (Rowie’s bro) brought out the giant sewing kit and Gen fixed Karen’s dress up.

Shoe time! This time it was Karen and I who had it easy, while Gen’s straps were needed another hole . Karen managed to make new ones to make it fit. We were just laughing at the whole thing.

But it gets more hilarious when we try to help Rowie get dressed. We had to shoo away the people, for some privacy of course. Rowie wore her petticoat first. Quite a chore when the bride is dancing to the tunes from her iMac. Then we got her in her wedding dress. End result: she was absolutely gorgeous! Wouldn’t mind being a lady-in-waiting for a face like that! :)

Rowie seemed to enjoy the role of Queen for the Day as we were laughing when we realized her shoe straps had the same problem was Gen. So all three bride’s maids were at her feet fixing the problem. The video and photo people just came at the right time and helped themselves with candid shots of the event.

Afterwards, we had to do a photo shoot in the living room. With the intense heat of the day, it felt a bit like torture having to endure it in our outfits. But it was a once-in-a-lifetime event that no amount of heat can stop us from having it captured.

Finally, we left Rowie with her mom (who was stunning as well) for the Church. Despite the various little problems we had during the day, we were still on schedule.

At the Church, there were already some guests. Many of which were college friends and acquaintances we haven’t seen in years. So it was great seeing them again. Erik’s mom was also there as she was one of the principal sponsors. She also bore good news that Erik is on his way from the airport and will make it to the wedding. Yey! *jump for joy*

By this time, I was a little nervous since I didn’t make it to the entourage practice. Walking isn’t much of problem, but walking in heels is. Good thing, Nix (groomsman) was hefty enough to hold me if I do fall. Gabe (the other groomsman), barely made it on time. We were already looking for a proxy, when two minutes before the march, he arrived. Whew!!!

Processional na!!! I didn’t notice they were playing “Comfort in your Strangeness” by Cynthia Alexander because I was still nervous. The little six-year-old boy didn’t walk because he was cringing with shyness. Wish I could do the same, but I have no excuse. By the time we passed the cameras, I felt myself relax.

When everyone was in, the door closed. A few seconds after, it opened and revealed a very radiant and very in-love Rowie. I couldn’t help but get teary-eyed. Karen was on her way to watery eyes as well. Good thing, we were able to compose ourselves and avoided ruining our make-up. The collective awe in the audience could be felt.

Her uncle brought her to the aisle. I could see Mike falling-in-love with Rowie all over as this was happening. His own smile could tell the story of their wonderful four years together.

Rowie was handed over to Mike. They sat on their places and the mass began. From the photos, it was a striking picture. The two, sitting before the altar and looking over them is Christ, as if saying, welcome to Our Trinity.

The ceremony was short and traditional, but very meaningful. There was no cord nor veil, just the lighting of the candles. The simplicity of the ceremony made it all the more beautiful. In a way, it was saying, “we don’t need all that pizzaz, we just need each other and were fine.” But the soundtrack was fun, with eclectic mix of classic, modern and OPM.

Of course, after the ceremony, was the picture-taking. Then the recessional which ended with the couple being sprayed with confetti and rose petals.

And off to the reception we go!

The reception was a blast. They had me at OPEN-BAR FIORGELATO! The strawberry gelato was delicious! The energy was also reverberating, as conversations of people who haven’t seen each other droned from table to table. The appetizers were superb. I was so hungry that I almost finished one plate by myself.

Rowie and Mike finally came, so the party began announcing their arrival. Celebrity friend, Jugs of Itchyworms hosted the first half of the celebration with his girlfriend CDy (Rowie’s HS barkada). Gen and Francis (Mike’s bestman) gave their speeches, which were both poignant and amusing.

Each table were to have their picture taken with the bride and groom before proceeding to the buffet table. Right on cue, when it was our turn, Gen’s boyfriend came as a Jedi, complete with hooded cape and saber.

The food was so delicious! My dress prevented me from having seconds, unfortunately. While eating, they were already showing pictures during the day. I loved Rowie’s mid shot as she entered the church, and the picture of her veil flying in the air. Ganda. As in.

After dinner, Francis and Katz (Mike’s college friend) replaced Jugs and CDy as hosts. It was time for Battle of the Geeks. Mike and Rowie had friends to answer questions relating to sports, comics, music and history. On Rowie’s side were Ganns and Jedi Jude. Mike’s bunch won, which wasn’t surprising at all. Hehehe!

There was of course, the garter and the bouquet game. Which was cue for Bok to go to the comfort room. Didn’t get to see much of the action because I had to take care of the guest book.

There wasn’t any giant three-tower cake that costs 25,000.00 or more to be cut. Instead, there was just Mike’s Mom’s Caliraya Mudcake which his Dad baked. What’s more, every table got to taste it! And boy was it delectable. The idea of all that love going into the cake made it all the more scrumptious. Mmmm. We even got to take home some. Mmmmm.

Mike’s Dad and Rowie’s Mom gave their speeches. There were many times I could almost feel the tears coming. Thank God, they’d come up with some quips that would make us laugh the water away. It was great knowing that both families accept their new children with open arms.

Finally, it was Mike and Rowie’s turn to speak. Something they admittedly did not prepare for. But speaking from the heart never goes wrong. And the good vibes radiating from the two just spread to everyone present. Looking at the two of them, you just know they belong to each other. And as part of that group, you wouldn’t want it otherwise.

It was indeed a beautiful wedding. One of the best I’ve been to. Because it was simple and heartfelt. Because it was love that was the highlight of that day. And you couldn’t get any better than that.

Congratulations to the newlyweds!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anj, this is a beautiful recount of the wedding!!! :) Email this to Rowie -- dali, dali! Hehehe.

cross eyed bear said...

Really? Thanks. Thought I was just rambling. Will give her heads up.